Thursday, January 15, 2009

Local Spotlight: Nihilism Records




Here is my 1st installment of what I hope is one of the many local spotlights I plan to cover on this blog. For this interview it's the dudes that run Nihilism Records out from Lincoln, NE. The label is relativity new, but already have a couple official releases of local hardcore bands under it's belt, and are showing no signs of stopping anytime soon. Plus they are some of the nicest guys around to boot. Here's the interview.


Hey guys, who and what is Nihilism Records?

Nihilism Records is run by me (Joe Reuter), Andy Voorhees, and Nick Miller.
The label started sometime in summer around 07. Basically I had some money and wanted to put vinyl out, and records were the only thing that I ever really spent money on so it made sense to me.


What releases have you guys done so far?

My first release was with Hercules. I put out their first EP "Those Of The Damned Run If Circles Of Glory" around September of 07, as a one sided LP. It was meant to be out in time for their tour that fall but the pressing plant fucked us over and it ended up coming real late. Now with weed covers.

I did Era's demo in January of 08. We were going to repress it for their upcoming tour but we were risking having the records come out sounding shitty. This is their first demo, not the recent experimental tour demo.


What are we to expect from Nihilism Records in 09'?

This is the first year where I'm not working myself into debt and all of us are able to throw in money to get shit out so we have a lot more planned.

Out in February is going to be a 7" for The JV Allstars called "8, 6, 7", 3, 0, 9". It's kind of a collection of b-sides, a cover, and a theme song.

We're hoping that around the same time we'll be able to have the new Hercules record "Moon Riders" out too. It's like those Native American t-shirts with the wolf howling on the cliff and the moon is in the background and there's like a fucking eagle flying all rolled into a joint and smoked.

There's a split between Koizumi and Potential Caskets from South Dakota, that'll be out sometime in spring. This has been in the works for a while so it'll be great to finally put it out.

Another split is being worked out with Scut Farkus and Greenfields. It's going to be a split demo tape. Nathan Ma (bassist of Greenfields) is that main reason why this is probably never coming out.


What do you think of the local Nebraska hardcore scene?

(Joe) I love the scene here. It's basically you hanging out with all your friends, playing and seeing music, partying, and having fun. Born to party, forced to work.


(Nick) I think it's great. it's pretty much just a huge group of close friends and who could ask for more than that? The only thing that could make it better is if more kids than just the regulars came out to shows more often. Lincoln and Omaha definitely have potential to have huge hardcore/punk shows all the time, more younger kids just need to be able to find these shows we have and feel welcome so they can enjoy themselves and want to come back. the same way we all got into this, and we need to make sure and show them


(Andy) I think it's great. Just the right size in my opinion, everyone rules, bands from here rule, plenty of awesome touring bands come through. I love it.



I am currently compiling my favorite hardcore releases for 08'. In your opinion, what were the top hardcore releases from the last year?

(Joe)
Paint It Black - New Lexicon
Breathing Fire - Years Of Lead
Cursed - III
Trash Talk - S/T
Title Fight - Kingston

(Nick)
foundation- a thousand ways ep
paint it black - new lexicon (2008 right?)
alpha and omega - devil's bed
ceremony - still nothing moves you
cruel hand - prying eyes
shipwreck - abyss (2008?)

(Andy)
Bitter End - Climate Of Fear
Trash Talk - s/t
Paint It Black - New Lexicon
Alpha & Omega - Devil's Bed
Have Heart - Songs To Scream At The Sun


Just for fun... favorite hardcore release of all time?

(Joe)
Black Flag - Nervous Breakdown EP
Bad Brains - S/T
Minor Threat - In My Eyes EP

(Nick)
Lifetime - jersey's best dancers
judge - new york crew
blacklisted - our youth is wasted ep
cro mags - age of quarrel
tragedy - tragedy

(Andy)
Cro-Mags - The Age Of Quarrel or Black Flag - Damaged, can't choose.


Alright that's it, any final shout outs / rants?

(Joe) Nihilism in your ass in 09'. The Ghost House. The Float Crib. The Manor. Crime for records.


(Nick) "Suppose Nancy sees me coming out of the shower and decides to come on to me. Now, I'm looking good.. I got a luscious V of hair going through my chest pubes down to my ball fro. She takes one look at me and goes, "Oh my god, I've had the old Bull- now I want the young calf"... And she grabs me by the wiener."


(Andy) Nihilism in your ass in '09. JVA 7" out soon, Hercules "Moon Riders" LP out soon, bunch of other stuff TBA. Watch out for High Dive, getting blazed and wrecking your pool soon.



Nihilism Records
myspace. com/nihilismrecordsne
RestInShit@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment